Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

About the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP) is a program that is community-driven. It’s developed to spread the advantages of economic immigration to smaller sized communities by creating a route to permanent residence for experienced foreign skilled employees who wish to work and also live in one of the communities participating.

IRCC in partnership with these communities would like to to test new approaches to:

  • use immigration to meet local labour market requirements and support local economic development
  • develop a welcoming environments to support new immigrants staying in rural communities

The pilot will help improve long-term retention of skilled new immigrants to rural areas by working with:

  • The partners that are community based
  • The Federal Government
  • Provincial governments and territorial governments

More about the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot process

As candidate would need to find a job with one of the communities participating in the program. You may live and work here if you are recommended by the community and your successfully apply for the permanent residency. 

How to find a community

You are required to first find a job as a candidate with an employer who is participating in one of the communities.

If you receive an endorsement from a participating community and you have successfully applied for a permanent residency, you are then able to live and work there.

The participating communities in the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot are:

  • North Bay, ON
  • Sudbury, ON
  • Timmins, ON
  • Sault Ste. Marie, ON
  • Thunder Bay, ON
  • Brandon, MB
  • Altona/Rhineland, MB
  • Moose Jaw, SK
  • Claresholm, AB
  • Vernon, BC
  • West Kootenay (Trail, Castlegar, Rossland, Nelson), BC

Do you meet the requirements?

In order to qualify for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet the requirements listed below:

  • A designated community economic development organization must be able to recommend you
  • You must meet the required work experience
  • You must have a job offer
  • You must meet the minimum language requirement
  • Meet the required educational requirements
  • You must be able to provide proof of funds
  • You must intend to live in the community

If you wish to immigrate to Canada under the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot, contact us for more information.

Work ExperienceEligible candidates must meet the minimum requirement of 1560 hours (twelve months) of continuous and paid work experience in the last three years. The work experience must be in the same occupation; however, I can be with different employers and can be obtained either in Canada or in a foreign country. Candidates would are seld employed are ineligible.The candidate must perform the majority of the primary duties and all other required duties posted in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) as per the profession as well as all activities mentioned in the main statement.


All candidates should have either a Canadian high school diploma or the foreign equivalence of the same. An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report must be obtained from a selected organisation for all qualifications outside Canada. At the time of application, the ECA report should be less than five years old.

Language Requirements

The requirement for the minimum language required under this program is based on your NOC type or a particular level that pertains to the candidate’s job offer. The minimum requirement for each of the NOC skill as listed below:

  • For NOC 0 and A: A Language score of a CLB 6 is needed
  • NOC B: A language score of a CLB 5 is needed
  • NOC C and D: A language score of a CLB 4 is needed

Settlement Funds

Candidates are required to show they have sufficient money to support themselves and their families after they enter Canada unless they have already had a valid work permit and are already working in Canada. The candidate is not allowed to borrow money from anyone else and must be their own.The candidate would need the following documents to show proof of funds:

  • Bank statements 
  • Documentation that demonstrates property or any other investments 
  • Documentation that assures payment of a particular amount of money payable to you 

The minimum required amount is as follows:

Number of family members
(including those you support
who aren’t immigrating with you)
Funds you need
(in Canadian dollars)
1 $8,722
2 $10,858
3 $13,348
4 $16,206
5 $18,380
6 $20,731
7 $23,080

NOTE: Candidates that are legally working in Canada alreday,at the time of their application are excluded from the settlement funds required.