The Provincial Nominee Programs are for workers who:
- have the abilities, education and work experience to add to the economy of a particular province or territory
- wish to live in that province, and
- desire to become permanent residents of Canada
Each province and territory has its process (migration programs that focus specific groups) and requirements. For instance, in a program stream, regions and provinces might target students, skilled workers, business people or semi-skilled workers.
Key to understanding the application process
The procedure to apply will depend on the Provincial Nominee Program stream you’re asking. An application would have to be using either the paper-based process or the Express Entry process (Online). As part of the procedure, you will need to pass a medical examination and get a police check (certificate). Everybody must complete these checks, irrespective of where they plan to live in Canada.
- You apply to the province or area for nomination under a non-Express Entry stream.
- The eligibility requirements of the province choosing your needs to be satisfied
- A paper application is submitted for permanent residence to once you have been chosen to IRCC
- You have to pass a medical test and got a police check (certificate). These checks are compulsory ,irrespective of the area you plan to stay.
- Usually the processing time for application are longer than through Express Entry.
Express Entry process
There are two methods to apply via this process:
- You get in touch with the province or territory and obtain a nomination under an Express Entry stream.
- Should you be nominated by a province or territory, you need to apply for an EE profile (or update your current profile should you already have one) and s then how that you have been selected.
- You create an Express Entry profile and express the territories and provinces you have an interest in.
- If a province or area sends you a “notification of interest” to your account, you contact them directly.
- You use to their Express Entry stream:
- If you’re chosen, the province will offer it to you through your account, and you accept it electronically.
For both cases
- You should fulfil the eligibility requirements of the province or territory. And,
- You need to send an Express Entry profile and show that you satisfy the minimum requirements for Express Entry, consisting of being qualified for one of the immigration programs it covers.
- If you are invited to apply, you send an electronic application to IRCC.
Choose a province or territory
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
The requirements by province and territory differ and can change without notice.